I caught this clip of South African singer Miriam Makeba's "Pata Pata" on The Africa Channel. (Can you tell I'm hooked on The Africa Channel yet?) "Pata Pata" was a HUGE hit back in South Africa in 1956 before creating US buzz in 1967. I know a few friends that play this song like it came out yesterday. The catchy beat and melody just hooks you in. Did you know that 2000 verison has a cameo from Miriam's granddaughter? Check it out...
Check out another performance of "Pata Pata" at VARA TV-studios in Holland, 1979. The little girl that joined Miriam on stage is her granddaughter Zenzi whose mother Bongi Makeba is the backgrouund singer in the blue dress.
I couldn't find the 2000 video on YouTube but I did find this 2007 performance. Rumor has it that Miriam's grandson is playing the drums in the following clip...
All About Miriam Makeba:
- Add her as your myspace friend. [MYSPACE.COM/MIRIAMMAKEBA]
- Quick biography of Miss Makeba. [All Music]
- "Pata Pata" was featured in the 2006 film, "Bobby." [IMDB]
- Makeba recorded music with Harry Belafonte. [ANSWERS]
- Miriam was also known as Mama Africa. [Wikipedia]
- All About Miriam Makeba Fan-stie. [AKH.SE]
- Her official website, MIRIAMMAKEBA.CO.ZA.