Thursday, September 04, 2008

LIVE BLOG: THE DIASPORAN STAR


The live blog of me reading the Sept. 2008 edition of "Diasporan Star" kicks off NOW. It's 5 PM my time (EST) and it's 11 PM over in Nigeria. (I'll post up the cover in a moment.)

*5:17 PM - Mama G and Okurame Ejiro are on the cover. Which headline to read first? Mama G wins: "I have not had sex since 2002. Dating a younger man is child abuse."

*5:45 - Okurame Ejiro gets named as a "Nollywood sexpot." She says, "Men are intimidated by me." (-Google search for why men are this way to her.-)

*5:52 - Blind item-type headline, "U.S. Supermodel & Nollywood's Top Actor in Secret Romance! Exclusive details of their Dunken Night Together in a New York Hotel." (Hmm...I wonder who???)

*6:05 - Page 2 and 3 contains two ADs from one African restaurant and a law office. There's a table of contents on page 3. So far the headline on "Things Falls Apart" catches my eye.

*6:07 - I made it onto page 4 to see the publisher's angle by Ekerete Udoh. Breezing through the first couple of paragraphs, I discover that Ekerete's a smart man who loves Nigeria.

*6:08 - Shout out to Jerry Otomewo the Diasporan Star's photographer!

*6:10 - Page 5 has the juicy tidbits on the U.S-based supermodel and the Nollywood hunk who reportedly "got into the hotel by 1 a.m. and did not leave until 11 a.m the next day." (Hmmmm...Hmmm...Hmmm...) Blind item can be fun and vague. The Nollywood hunk can be anyone so...hmmm...

*6:13 - On the bottom of the page is a subscription form for the paper. $20 for 6 months. $40 for 1 year. (Sidenote: I got this paper free during Labor Day Weekend.)

*7:15 - Oops! I'm too busy the article on 3 warning signs to watch out for from your man. Yeah that read took me an hour to get. There's another AD for a law firm...and there's two more AD's on page 8!

*7:17 - Mama G's interview is on page 9. Give me a moment to get through this. By the way I like the photo of her!

*7:55 - Mama G: "Other African countries have caught on with the Nollywood fever, and it is very exciting and encouraging to see the growth of the industry in other countries - especially Ghana." (Is Ghana taking over? I think my good friend NAIJA GAL is onto something!)

*8:17 - "I am a widow. My husband died in 2002. I miss him dearly. Together, we have three sons who are now my husbands. They are overly protective of me." (If the woman in a marriage dies, the man is open to get married again but that doesn't work the other way around in some African cultures. Speak on it.)

*8:20 - Page 11 has the one-page article called, "Nollywood Side-Dish" by Julie Van-Lere. The articles contains a boatload of actors like Jackie Appiah, Omotolo, Ramsey Noah, Kate Henshaw, Dakore Egbuson, etc. One bold statement pops up: "Hey Ramsey Nouah, Jr - "Lover Boy" watch your back Vic Vicker of "Beyonce" fame is gradually replacing you as the resident half-caste of Nollywood."

*9:19 - Okay so I finally added the cover! Back to reading...

*9:22 - Okurame credits Rita Dominic as her Nollywood big break. On her love life: She admits she's dating a man in the entertainment industry. "He is humble, understanding, and a great lover. I rate him on a scale of 1-10, an 8. When we get married, it would be 10. I am deliberately conserving the remanining 2 points so he won't get everything. The 2 points would be the surprse during our marital days." (Hmmm...that scale is something else, huh?)

*9:24 - Extra scoop from Okurame's interview with Ekerete Udoh, she's in America filming the Nollywood "Godfather" with director Zeb Ejiro.


*9:26 - TM claims "American Dream" with Jim Iyke, Yomi Layinke, Ngozi Oriji, Fred Asaroma, Ose Baseki and Esther Moore is a must-see comedy!

*9:35 - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo wonders if we would ever go back home because going home has become an 'attractive option.' He writes, "At Home you will have a driver." (My thoughts: That's a very tempting thought as driving for me can be downright tiring, lol!)

*9:38 - I've made to the Diasopran Celebrity Events section! First up is a Church celebration in the Bronx. Then there's the 21st AKWAY IBOM Convention. Nice....

*9:39 - BINGO! These two-page wedding photos are from the wedding I told you all about. (I spotted "TDS" photographer in one of the photos I took!)

*9:49 - More photos...and another fun AD. Omasan Buwa tells readers to "Be Careful Of What You Ask For..." Right under her advice column are more photos from the wedding.

*9:52 - I finally stumbled upon the article on China Achebe's novel, "Things Fall Apart." By the way this November the U.S Library of Congress will honor the 50th anniversary of Achebe's epic. Great write-up, Malcolm Udogwu...



*9:56 - Another AD for food. This AD got me craving for some egusi, garri, and some stockfish - served separately of course!

*9:57 - Another AD on African Fashion (marucherb.com)

*9:58 - The remaining two articles are bundled up in even more AD's from African-based businesses.

*9:59 - Original African DVD's from African Movies Mall showcases films like "Pretty Queen", "To Love & Cherish", "Playboy", etc.

*10:00 - I made it! I did it! I successfully read back to back the latest "Diasporan Star"! Time for a tall drink of water ASAP!

Afro/Naija News:

  • I'm named a Certified Honest Blogger by F&F!
  • Jada Pinkett Smith & Mary J Blige jumpstarts a new trend - bow clutch. [Mrs. Grapevine]
  • Michelle Williams strikes a pose for Bloomingdales. [Fresh & Fab]
  • Brandy finally releases her "Right Here (Departed)" video. [Quick's Catch Up]
  • Check out Toni Braxton's Dancing With The Stars promo portrait. [Urban-Hoopla]
  • Ciara goes nude for "VIBE" magazine. [Concrete Loop]
  • What's The Most Played-Out Trend in Hip-Hop and R&B right Now? [Soulbounce]
  • Beyonce covers Marie Claire UK. [Toya's World]
  • New York Fashion Week starts TOMORROW so will the impact of Vogue Italia All-Black Issue be seen??
  • Must there be a semi-nude photo on VANVICKERLIVE.COM??!
  • No comments: