Fatima Siad of America's Next Top Model Cycle 10 made her first red carpet outing at The CW Upfronts event. Sadly so, Fatima did NOT win this year's modeling competition. (Plus-sized model Whitney won.)
Fatima made some strong yet interesting remarks about this year's "ANTM" competition...
"When [Claire Unabia] and [Lauren Utter] and [Katarzyna Dolinska] got kicked off, I was just like this whole thing is a joke," Siad told reporters during a Thursday conference call. "They look like models. If this supposed to be a modeling competition, one of them should have won or [Anya Kop] should have won. But it goes to show you that it might be about politics."
The reason why Siad thinks "politics" might have played a role is because Whitney Thompson, a 20-year-old student from Atlantic Beach, FL, became the first full-figured woman to win Top Model during Wednesday night's tenth-season finale.
"Whitney took great pictures and she definitely knows how to conduct herself -- she's very outspoken and she speaks really well," explained Siad. "I think that's why she won over Anya, otherwise I wanted Anya to win. Anya has that high-fashion look and she really knows how to model. But she lacks the confidence and speech skills that Whitney has."
In addition, Siad doesn't feel Thompson should be considered full-figured.
"To be quite honest, Whitney doesn't look like a plus-sized model to me. I feel like she doesn't look like a plus-size model, and therefore it's sending the wrong message because there are women who are actually full-figured and they see her and say, 'Wow, if she's a plus-size model than what am I?'" Siad told Reality TV World.
"But honestly I think it's about time if that's what it takes to change the face of fashion, than that's a tiny step. Hopefully we will have another woman who represents a larger portion of American plus-size models." [CONTINUE READING...]
Fatima HAS a point. I guess the "ANTM" production thought it was best to make 'history' (re: headlines) with their first ever plus-sized model. I was hoping they would pick Fatima instead so she'll become the first African-born model to win the competition. While on that topic, whatever happened to Nnenna?!
Alek Wek and Iman attended the 20th Annual American Image Awards in New York City. ANTM Cycle 10 top 3 finalist Fatima was there!
Liya Kebede has a beautiful pictorial inside the June 2008 edition of "Vogue" magazine.
Ethiopian-born model Liya traveled with VOGUE's Sally Singer to Timbuktu for some good music. Along the way Liyda wore designs from D&G, Alexander McQueen, Cavalli, Chloe, Missoni, DVF, Balenciaga, DKNY, Stella McCartney, and Arden B.
Photos: Mikael Jansson for VOGUE
Anyhow else pleased that "VOGUE" actually used an African-born model to wear designer designs WHILE in Africa??!?! Usually when a fashion publication goes for an African tribal photo shoot, they tend use others expect ones that ARE from Africa. Liya did a great job...
Estelle has been on her grind ever since releasing her American debut record, "Shine". Check her out at various events worldwide...
At her album release party, "Project Runway" winner Christian Siriano dressed Estelle using PUMA designs...
Siriano created her distinctive ruffle-neck dress by deconstructing three existing Puma tanks. What’s more, he’s dubbed the R&B artist a muse. He tells PEOPLE, “For me it’s really exciting because it’s great to work with an artist that wants to be more creative and more fashion forward. That’s why I love her. I mean how fabulous is she?”[OFF THE RACK]
Estelle even dropped by "Ellen" with John Legend to perform "Come Over" and "American Boy":
If you haven't purchased Estelle's "Shine", you have to get based off a few of my fave tracks...
1. Why are our women so obsessive with 'dark'/'light'? I swear if I hear these terms from another Nigerian woman's mouth, I'm going to say "Would you kindly look in the mirror"? The last time I went home I was given a skin lightener cream as a gift! What is up with that???!
2. Why are some of OUR men obsessed with marrying a light-skinned-uneducated-virgin-women?!?! Can you all explain this much to me?? This is the very same men that ran through all of the 'loose' girls in school. Things that make me go hmmm...
*disclaimer: all rants are meant in good humor
- Find out why African-Americans are resettling in Ghana. [Ebony Intuition]
- Can you list the most wanted Nigerian Artists? [Naija Sutra]
- Beyonce and Rihanna- the Ghana movie style [Expand Ur Hair-Izon]
- Get Familiar with Africa's Opera Divas. [LadyBrille]
- Essence magazine loves to recycle its cover stars.[Make Fetch Happen]
- Osi Umenyiora and girlfriend Selita will another public appearance tonight at Velvet ATL. [Velvet ATL]
- Barack Obama on Bush and McCain [CNN]
- How to rock a traditional African garment the RIGHT way. [Chike Ikechi]