Thursday, February 01, 2007

South African fashion label, Darkie by Themba Mngomezulu

While checking out one of my favorite fashion blogs, I Like Her Style!,

I came across this hip South African designer Themba Mngomezulu (nee Darkie).

I'll have to agree with Syliva of I Like Her Style when she pointed how overlooked South African fashion industry is overlooked. Right now fashion week is in Paris and New York City.
Darkie on his cutting-edge fashion line:
"We’re a fast-forward brand. We like to design both locally and globally. We’re a South African design team and we’re creating our Darkie style. We try not to focus solely on the international influences because they don’t understand our style. South Africa has an amazing 11 different cultures and that inspires us every day.’

Darkie is primarily a sportswear/lifestyle label. Many of their t-shirts feature cultural icons such as Muhammad Ali, Ray Charles and Nelson Mandela and their favortie material of choice seems to be denim.

Pictures from Themba Mngomezulu are from his fashion show at Levi Strauss.
Women

[pic credit: I Like Her Style]
**click to enlarge**
Men

[pic credit: Women24]
**click to enlarge**


Love up to the minute fashion tips and insider previews with a flair? Then head on over to my good friend Sylvia's blog, I Like Her Style! (Click on the image to access the blog!)

4 comments:

Chi-Chi said...

It's always great to see African fashio designers making it!

Chi-Chi said...

I wonder if they sell his clothes over here...

Anonymous said...

I know Darkie is soon gonna be available in the Netherlands. Check out www.landstore.nl

If you are interested, please link this site on every available website, to promote South African Designers in Europe!

Unknown said...

Thanks Dennis for posting!